Tuesday, August 11, 2015

First Light

One of the comments I usually see from 'Progressive Seculars' is they believe everyone who is conservative or Tea party, is an "Anti-Science New Earth Christian Fundamentalist Zealot."

Well, clearly, that just isn't the case.

First off, there are Jews, like myself and my family, that are Tea party.  We believe in Constitutionalism, and rewarding people for working within these rules.  It's a simple philosophy, one that has to do with how our Government should treat us, and our natural rights as G-d's creations.

Second, the idea that Christians in the 21st century are 'religious zealots' is rather insulting.  While everyone has a right to hold their own deep convictions, I don't see Christians cutting the heads off people who aren't converting.

So what if they say, 'bless you' or 'Merry Christmas?'

I enjoy saying it back. Something that brings joy and happiness, and brings light into the world, should be celebrated without fear.

I also happen to see that my Christian friends are kind and generous.  Just look at the span of the largest charitable organization in the world - the Catholic Church. As I've mentioned before, I've volunteered at Churches before, but I never felt uncomfortable. In fact, I always felt welcomed - always part of the family.

I have long enjoyed deep philosophical and economic debates with my brother and sister Christians of all stripes over the years.  I was, for most of my early life, on the 'liberal' side of the debate, but I was always treated with respect.  I was never called racist, crazy or dumb.

Third, the idea that people of God and Science need to be separate is non-sense.  One only has to look at the long list of religious scientists & doctors, from Copernicus to Sir Francis Bacon, from Kepler to Einstein, from Gregor Mendel to our own modern day Ben Carson - and you will see Science and God have long gone hand and hand.



Finally, the concept of 'New Earth' is based upon a mistranslation of the ancient Hebrew word, Yom.

Yom does not always mean day, in fact, it was often used interchangeably with time, ages, or the concept of forever.
It is interesting to note that in 67 verses in the Old Testament, the word Yom is translated into the English word "time." For instance, in Genesis 4:3, it says "And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the Lord." In this instance, Yom refers to a growing season, probably several months. Again, in Deuteronomy 10:10, it refers to a "time" equal to forty days. In I Kings 11:42, it says "And the time that Solomon reigned in Jerusalem over all Israel was forty years." In this case, Yom translated as the word "time" is equivalent to a 40 year period.

In Isaiah 30:8, it says "Now go, write it before them in a table, and note it in a book, that it may be for the time to come for ever and ever." In this case, Yom is equal to "forever." How long is forever? An infinite number of years...billions upon billions upon billons of years. If Yom can equal trillions of years here, then why not billions of years in Genesis?

LINK
 
So you can believe that the Bible is the literal word of God, yet not believe that Earth is 5000 years young.  I don't believe Genesis indicates the Earth is any Age in particular - so I personally feel confident in the scientific consensus answer of 13.7 billion years.

None of the stereotypes that the Progressive Seculars paint is true, just like how they paint our police as racist, or corporations as all greedy. It's time that we, as people of God, started showing that we care for God, Science and the Wisdom that has flowed from the blessings He has given us.