Sunday, January 31, 2016

Make the right choice

Look, I know many people are entrenched in their choice for President.  So, why listen to me? I'm nobody on the scale of things, right?

The reason you should listen is because I've heard this song and dance before. We have all heard it before, really. I remember, as if it was yesterday, my excitement in picking a President, who I thought, most represented my values.

I truly thought it was a movement. A movement much bigger than myself.

He told me he was about bringing the country together. That it wouldn't be about Red States, or Blue States anymore, but the United States.  He told me that he would bring hope and change to a nation seeking changes while mired in multiple wars.

He told me how much he supported our allies in the Middle East, and would never allow the terrorist supporting regime in Iran acquire a nuclear weapon.  He told me how he would stand for a new day in human rights around the world.

He told me he would invest in America.  Right here at home.  He told me that a bunch of shovel ready jobs was going to reboot the economy.  And he told me how he would make healthcare affordable, lowing my costs and allowing me to keep my doctor.  And he told me that this would all happen as transparently as possible.

He told me how he would solve the biggest problem - the melting of the glaciers and rising of the oceans.  How he would make sure the air was clean and the World better for future generations.

If you can't tell by now, these were lies.   And I fully admit, I bought into them.

Understand that this is what politicians do.  They lie.

So don't be fooled by fast talk. Or even blunt talk that seems appeasing.  Platitudes will not save anyone.  We have seen what 7 years of platitudes has riddled us with.

Nor will more big government and crony capitalism save America. That is what has gotten us into such deep trouble in the first place.  And isn't the Einsteinian definition of crazy continuing to do the same thing over and over again despite repeat failure?

So think long and hard about where these people have actually stood.  Where they have planted their flags and fought.  Who they have worked on behalf of.  Who they have donated too.  What principals do they truly believe in.

Because at the end of the day, even if your candidate wins, the legacy they leave behind could effect the thinking of future generations for years to come. And if they turn out to be an unmitigated disaster, they will become the example for many future generations to avoid following.

Make the right choice.