Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Druze fighting for Israel


In the recent war, the sides are often painted as Jew versus Muslim.

But that's not the case at all.

On one side, you have a Democratic, free society.  Israel.

Israel isn't just for Jews, it has Christians, Muslims, Atheists, Buddists, etc.  But one religion doesn't get talked about enough, Druze.

I was fortunate enough to visit a Druze home in Israel.  I was welcome with open arms, and they helped me feel like I was in my own house.  They are a wonderful people and religion, and shockingly proud supporters of Israel.  Unique in their own ways, they have a right to not be absorbed by greater Islam. In Israel, they are free to practice their religion as they see fit.  And so, Col. Rasan Alian, commander of the Golani Brigade, pictured above, is a Druze Israeli hero, returning to fight for his country even as beat up as he was.

Truly, a remarkable story of patriotism.